23 September 2006

Petrodvorets and the Aurora

Another two days in one post... yesterday I visited Petrodvorets, Peter the Great's version of Versailles, more or less, passing other pallaces along the way. The grounds of Petrodvorets are lovely and calm, full of fountains, with the main feature a cascade down from the Grand Palace, along a canal into the Baltic Sea. The day started grey and dull, but later the sun came out, so plenty of photos to see once I find a reliable computer.

Sadly my attempt at going to Kronstadt failed today, because I couldn't find the bus. I decided not to try the alternative route and instead visit the Cruiser Aurora, the ship that fired the signal for the start of the October Revolution. You can go on it and inside where there are some displays, all in Russian though. For lunch I went to a Georgian restaurant, Salkhino. The food was very tasty, a bit like Indian food, and came in similarly large partions. The bowl I got to serve myself from must have been metal or something similar, because it stayed so hot the food was bubbling for quite a while.

I'm staying a night longer in St. Petersburg than intended, because Novgorod is full, so I have to get a 7.55 train tomorrow morning. Oh, at the Metro station today someone tried to pickpocket me, but he chose my bag. Apparently my diary and Russian phrasebook aren't worth nicking, so it didn't matter. He wasn't very sly about it either.

No comments: